The Road To Powai (Fashion Valley / Mission Center Road Area)
Fascinating map of the area north of Mission Valley, in San Diego. The map identifies the "Powei Wagon Road" which was apparently a route to present-day Poway. In the mid-19th Century the area shown in the map was known as Cañada de Osuna. Currently, it can be identified as the area west of Mission Center Road, on either side of the 163 Freeway, extending north to around Genesee Avenue.
A very nicely finished map, with wash color to indicate some of the topographical features of the area, it shows Pueblo Lot 1182. The map was made for the legal partition of the lot in connection with the court case of Conn v. Whipple, dated Sept. 15th 1893, and identifies 7 lots created by the partition, and their owners, including:
- Lot 1: William A. Conn (San Bernardino Pioneer)
- Lot 2 : S. P. Anthony
- Lot 3: William D. Whipple (Civil War army officer who was part of the Gila Expedition in 1857)
- Lot 4: Geo. S. Boutwell
- Lot 5: Felton Estate
- Lot 6: W. R. Smedberg
- Lot 7: J. L. Dryden
William A. Conn
Born in the West Indies in 1814, William A. Conn and his family moved to the United States in 1818, settling in Baltimore. They eventually relocated to Illinois after various stops along the way. In Illinois, Conn engaged in various business ventures, which ranged from general merchandising to river shipping.
In 1848, during a business visit to Europe, Conn learned of the gold discovery in California. This prompted him to send merchandise to San Francisco and by 1851, he relocated there. His interest soon shifted to San Bernardino in 1857, where he acquired a significant portion of the Rancho San Bernardino from Mormon leaders. Over the years, he sold lands to settlers at affordable rates. Conn's political career included a stint in the General Assembly in 1858 and as a State Senator from 1867.
Such nicely drawn 19th-century manuscript maps of original Pueblo Lots in San Diego are very rare in the market.