Important early Map of Southwestern British Columbia, published by the Department of Lands and Works.
The map depicts the relative locations of various Land Districts and Divisions in south-west British Columbia. The map also shows physical features (though not topography) and transportation routes.
The map shows the progress of the government surveys on either side of the Strait of Georgia, along with early railroad lines, roads, canals, etc. The details in the backcountry include early post offices and Hudson Bay Company Trading Houses,
The map was issued periodically between 1892 and 1911, under the auspices of different Chief Commissioners, who are often named on the map. This is apparently the last edition of the map.
The map includes annotations in red, yellow, and blue, primarily around Flores Island and Herbert Arm, in Clayoquot Sound. This almost certainly related to land speculation claims relating to Crown Timber Lands. In the first decade of the 20th century, changing policy allowed for speculators to claim up to a square mile of crown timberlands.