Farmer Map of Michigan for Settlers & Land Dealers . . .
Detailed map of the State of Michigan, published in Detroit by John Farmer, the most important Michigan map maker of the 19th Century.
An early owner has annotated this example of the map with the railroad lines in Southeastern Michigan shown in Red, Blue and Green.
First issued in 1841, the map was revised dozens of times over the next 30 years, with the 1873 edition being the last edition noted by OCLC.
John Farmer is perhaps the single most important map maker and surveyor in the history of the mapping of Michigan. Farmer was invited by Governor Cass and the trustees of the University of Michigan to move from Albany, New York to Michigan in 1821. His first major work was the surveying and creation of the first published map of Michigan. In 1825, he issued the first of a number of printed maps of Michigan, Wisconsin, Lake Superior, and Detroit, most of which he also engraved.
In 1831, Farmer compiled and drew for the governor and judges of the state the first and only map of Detroit. Farmer's early maps were extremely influential in promoting the extensive emigration to Michigan that occurred between 1825 and 1840. John Farmer's son, Silas, was born in Detroit, Michigan in 1839 and was brought up working in his father's business, where he continued the publication of maps well into the 1880s. For a period of time, Farmer's maps were licensed to J.H. Colton.
The present example, published in 1873, includes an interesting title on the cover -- Farmer's Sectional Map of Michigan For Settlers & Land Dealers ...