A Wall Map of Paris Dedicated to King Louis XV.
Rare map of Paris in 4 sheets dedicated to King Louis XV, published by Hubert Jaillot.
The map is embellished with a coat of arms supported by two angels, and a globe. The female character at the right is Minerva, goddess of Wisdom, Intelligence and War. The cartouche was designed and engraved by Aveline.
The orientation of the map is the same as that adopted by Jacques Gomboust in 1652 (Boutier, 84) or Pierre Bullet in 1675 (Boutier, 113): the west is at the bottom of the card system that presents to the eye churches' facades. Boutier cites eleven editions of this plan between 1748 and 1787.
Alexis-Hubert Jaillot (ca. 1632-1712) was one of the most important French cartographers of the seventeenth century. Jaillot traveled to Paris with his brother, Simon, in 1657, hoping to take advantage of Louis XIV's call to the artists and scientists of France to settle and work in Paris. Originally a sculptor, he married the daughter of Nicholas Berey, Jeanne Berey, in 1664, and went into partnership with Nicholas Sanson's sons. Beginning in 1669, he re-engraved and often enlarged many of Sanson's maps, filling in the gap left by the destruction of the Blaeu's printing establishment in 1672.