One of the Earliest Maps of San Francisco published in the City.
Finely detailed map of the populated areas of San Francisco, oriented to the west. The map extends west to Divisadero; south to Alta.
Since there are no folds in this copy, it was undoubtedly issued as a separate. It has a neatly printed number 55 on a small piece of paper affixed in lower margin. One interesting feature is the tracing of the original shoreline of San Francisco, showing just how much of the city is built on landfill.
Britton & Rey were located on Mongomery St at the corner with Commercial St. between 1854 and 1858 (Peters, California on Stone, p. 162).
Provenance: Warren Heckrotte Collection.