Rare (unrecorded?) separately issued view of Nevada City, California, published in Nevada City by Cook & Coburn.
The view locates churches, schools, a concert hall, theater, temperance hall, location of the Nevada Journal and the Nevada Democrat, the Adams and Wells Fargo Offices, Oriental Hotel, Post Office, Phoenix Restaurant, Court House, Jail, Laird's Flume, Coyoteville and Cook & Coburn's Paint Shop.
The view notes that it was drawn by E. F. Cook and printed by "J. Silversmith's Lith. San Francisco."
Cook & Coburn are listed in the Nevada County the Nevada County California Business and Residential Directory as having an addressat "14 Commercial Street, upstairs -- Painters, etc." and alternatively at "34 Commercial Street, upstairs -- Painters, etc." Almost certainly, one of the two is a transcription error.
Cook & Coburn are noted as having incurred a loss associated with a fire in Nevada City on July 19, 1850, according to the History of Nevada County, California; with illustrations descriptive of its scenery, residences, public buildings, fine blocks, and manufactories . . . (Thompson & West, 1880).
The town of Nevada City was incorporated April 19, 1856. It was first settled in 1849, during the California Gold Rush, as Nevada. The Gold Tunnel on the north side of Deer Creek was the city's first mine, being located in 1850. The first saw mill built in Nevada City was on Deer Creek, just above the town, in August, 1850, and was built by Lewis & Son, with a water wheel. In 1850-51, it was the most important mining town in the state, Nevada County being the leading gold-mining county in the state. In 1851, The Nevada Journal became the first newspaper published in the town and county. In 1864, the word "City" was added to the name to relieve confusion with the nearby state of Nevada, and the town has legally been known as "Nevada City" ever since.
We were unable to locate any other examples of this view.