Rare early lithographic set of photographs, showing progress on the construction of Stanford University prior to its opening in 1891.
The original grant for the University was dictated by Leland Stanford on November 11, 1885. Frederick Law Olmstead designed the campus in the following year. An original set of 14 preliminary sketches were drawn by Charles Allerton Coolidge and presented to Leland Stanford and his wife in April 1887. The cornerstone for the University was laid on May 14, 1887.
Much of the campus was destroyed in the San Francisco earthquake, making these among the only large format printed illustrations of the original campus architecture.
We note that the Stanford University apparently holds 2 copies of this view. OCLC locates no other examples of this print.