Early Hayden Map Company Pictorial Map
Highly detailed pictorial advertising and trail map of the area around Bridgeport, California, in Mono County.
The map extends along US Highway 395 from Topaz Lake in the south, to Mono Lake in the North and Maltby's Resort in the Northeast. A number of roads are located, along with lakes, mountains, rivers, small settlements, ranches, etc.
In the town of Bridgeport, a birds-eye style image of the town and streets are given.
A key across the top locates the location of different types of fish and touts the duck hunting season. The map provides advertising for many of the area businesses, both tourist and non-tourist, including the local taxidermist.
The Hayden Map Co. promotion notes that they will soon complete maps of all the fishing and resort recreational areas within the 9 western states.
This is the 1954 edition of the map.
The Hayden Map Co
The Hayden Map Company was founded in the 1930s by Emmet Hayden. In 1927, Emmet Hayden procured a lease in the Inyo National Forest, where he built a four bedroom log cabin which is the Mammoth Lakes Museum today. Emmet was an Engineer, Surveyor, and Mapmaker by training. He put Mammoth Lakes on his 1934 map, titled "A Circle of Enchantment." Originally, the Hayden Map Company did sub-division work in the Los Angeles area. After moving to Mammoth Lakes for his summer residence, he had the idea of being a hunting and fishing guide, which became the Hayden Map Company. The two earliest maps were the "Three Flags Highway" and "The Circle of Enchantment."