Carey, Lea & Blanchard refers to one of the iterations of the Carey publishing firm, which was the largest American publishing house of the nineteenth century. Mathew Carey founded the firm in the 1790s and brought in his son, Henry Charles Carey, in 1817. In 1822, Mathew’s son-in-law, Isaac Lea, joined as well, while Mathew retired. William A. Blanchard joined the firm in 1833, causing another name change to Carey, Lea & Blanchard. Henry retired in 1835, leaving the firm as Lea & Blanchard.