Spectacular panorama of Honolulu Harbor, extending from the eastern most piers at the entrance to the harbor to Diamond Head at the far right.
Taken from the Aloha Tower and looking to the North and Northeast, the image is centered on Punchbowl Street and Pier 2 and covers Honolulu Harbor with its main pier buildings at the right of the harbor painted with camouflage, with Downtown Honolulu laid out across the center of the image.
To the far left of the map, the pineapple tower stands over the Dole canning factory. A cleverly camouflaged water tank, it was built by the Chicago Bridge and Iron Co. for architect Charles William Dickey's design. It was constructed in 1928 and represented the tallest building in Honolulu when completed. The pineapple started a small trend, with the Gerber Baby Food Jar and the Sir Walter Raleigh Tobacco Can shortly after being erected above their respective factories.
The image reveal a candid look at downtown Honolulu in the early 1940s, around the time of the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor. Remarkably, virtually none of the buildings shown with any detail are still present today. In the lower foreground, a ubiquitous circa 1940 Woody wagon is parked in front of the park on what was probably then Auahi Street.