Fine example of the 1900 lithographed reproduction of the unobtainable Hawaiian Surveyor General's 1878 map of Lanai Island. This map represents the culmination of the first systematic scientific survey of the island of Kauai during the 1870s and was conducted by W. D. Alexander.
The map shows the highly volcanic island of Lanai in full and focuses on the subdivisions of land within the island. In 1878, when the original Hawaiian government survey map was printed, the yellow lands were owned by the royal crown of Hawaii, while the lands colored green were owned by the government. This split had persisted since 1848, however, following the overthrow of the Hawaiian Kingdom, all lands became public domain.
The survey was compiled under Williams Dewitt Alexander, a Honolulu-born, Yale-educated professor at the Punahou School. Following this post, he worked for the Royal Bureau of Government Survey, where, as Surveyor General, he first produced this map.
This map was published in 1900 as part of an effort to remap the Hawaiian Islands and better understand historical distributions of land in the archipelago following the US takeover in 1898.