Separately issued unfolded map of Stanislaus County, published by C.F. Weber.
The map shows early railroads, roads, wagon roads, mines, lakes, mills, and many other details.
The county is named for the Stanislaus River, first discovered by a European, Gabriel Moraga, in 1806, and later renamed Rio Estanislao in honor of Estanislao, a mission-educated renegade Native American chief who led a band of Indians in a series of battles against Mexican troops until finally being defeated by General Mariano Vallejo in 1826.
Stanislaus County was formed from part of Tuolumne County in 1854.The first county seat was situated at Adamsville, then moved to Empire in November, then to La Grange in December, then to Knights Ferry in 1862, and finally at the present location in Modesto in 1871.