The First Atlas Map of Escondido, California
The map provides a fine town plan of Escondido, published only 24 years after its first incorporation as a city on October 8, 1888.
The map illustrates the former street names running east and west south of Grand Avenue, pre-dating the current numbered streets.
A Hotel and College Grounds are shown south of Grand near Hickory. This would be the Escondido Hotel and the Seminary College of the University of Southern California. Construction began in 1886 on the Escondido Hotel, a 100 room hotel on the east end of Grand Ave. The Escondido Land & Town Company donated alternate blocks on Grand Avenue to the University of Southern California as an endowment for a seminary, which was to be operated as a feeder for students to the University. The brick for the seminary, which was built on a sightly knoll overlooking the city, was made in Escondido. The college functioned only a few years, and in 1894 a High School district was formed and the building was acquired.
The terminus of the Atchison Topeka & Santa Fe Railway is shown.
This is from W.E. Alexander's 1912 Plat Book of San Diego County, California published by the Pacific Plat Book Company of Los Angeles and San Francisco.
In over 25 years of business in San Diego, this is the first time we have offered the map for sale.