Detailed plan of Fort St. George and the city of Chennai, formerly Madras.
There are a number of alpha-numeric keys and remarks on the points of interest in the area.
The English East India Company purchased land at Madras in 1635 and was granted permission to build a factory and warehouse for their trading enterprises in 1639. Later that year, Fort St George was built to protect the Company's maritime interests.
A table at the left lists 12 items of interest within the fort and the area of Black Town, also known as George Town, which was the first settlement of the city of Madras.