Sign In

- Or use -
Forgot Password Create Account

Rare pictorial map of the Island of Penang.

Includes vignettes showing places of interest, industry, shipping, natural resources, etc.

Pulau Jerejak is shown as a quantine station and Leper Camp.  

Pulau Jerejak

In 1797, Pulau Jerejak was first identified as a potential site for a hospital and a shipyard. The island's transformation into a leprosy colony began in 1871, when the first group of 25 leprosy patients was brought there. Over the years, the number of patients grew, reaching nearly 900 by 1927. 

Simultaneously, in 1877, Pulau Jerejak was designated as a quarantine station for newly-arrived immigrants, a role it played amidst the bustling maritime activities of Penang. By 1911, the island had quarantined a total of 134,957 persons, the majority being immigrants from southern India. 

In 1946, the focus shifted to tuberculosis treatment, with the island's facilities being repurposed for TB patients. By the 1950s, the TB colony had expanded to include 400 beds, reflecting the changing public health needs of the time.

In 1969, the decision was made to convert Pulau Jerejak into a high-security detention center and relocate the TB and Leper occupants. The island was declared a prohibited area and became known for incarcerating secret society members and other offenders.  The detention center continued its operations until its closure in August 1993.