A Meticulous Mapping of Southern Nigeria Under British Rule
An extraordinarily detailed map of the the Central and Eastern provinces of Southern Nigeria, providing a remarkable level of details.
The map of Southern Nigeria was created under the guidance of Captain W.H. Beverley, the Intelligence Officer for Southern Nigeria. This map was based on surveys conducted by several officers and individuals: Capt. Woodroffe, Capt. Moir, Lieut. King, Lieut. Hearson, E.P. Cotton, as well as officers from the Southern Nigeria Marine. Additionally, sketches by officers of the Southern Nigeria Regiment and Political Officers overseeing various districts contributed to its details. The final map was drawn and engraved at Stanford's Geographical Establishment.
Post the Napoleonic Wars, the 19th century saw an expansion of British trade into Nigeria's interior. In 1885, Britain's influence in West Africa was internationally acknowledged. A pivotal development was the chartering of the Royal Niger Company in 1886 under Sir George Taubman Goldie. However, by the close of the century, on December 31, 1899, this charter was annulled, leading to the British government's takeover of the territory previously under the Company.
With the dawn of the 20th century, two significant protectorates were established in Nigeria: the Southern and Northern Nigeria Protectorates. These were amalgamated in 1914, giving rise to the Colony and Protectorate of Nigeria. This period witnessed a distinction in development between the north and the south. The southern region saw quicker advancements in western education and a modern economy, a disparity that echoed in Nigerian politics thereafter.
The reference key shows symbols for the following:
- Provincial Headquarters also Headquarters of Calabar and Warri Districts.
- District Headquarters: Courts and Resthouses are established at these stations.
- Native Court:
- Post Office or Postal Agency.
- Public Telegraph office.
- Principal Protestant and Roman Catholic Mission Stations.
- 1st Class Roads: Permanent main roads constructed by the Government Roads Department and Political Officers; they are all well graded and bridged, average 15 feet in width and are suitable for light traffic. Where metalled, heavy traffic can run over them
- 2nd Class Roads: Constructed under the supervision of Military and Political Officers. In some cases, traces were marked out by Road Engineers. they are bridged, average 15 feet in width, are to a certain extent graded and suitable for light traffic.
- 3rd Class Roads: Native paths that have been straightened and cleaned. they average 8 feet in width and in nearly all cases can be cycled over
- Native Paths
- Telegraph along a road.
- Administrative Districts (red letters)'
- Principal Native Tribes.(capital black letters)
- Small native Tribes (small black letters)
- Note: The 't' when followed by another word is pronounced as 'r', e.g., Ikot Ekpene is pronounced Ikor Ekpene.
- Market places in the districts inhabited by the Ibo tribe are marked as: Afor. Eke. Newor. and Orio which signifies the day on which the market is held)
- A Factory: The West African term for a Trading Company's Station.