First Nevada Railroad Directory
Very rare Nevada directory for towns and hamlets along the Virginia and Truckee Railroad. This railroad was begun in February 1869, with the Carson City to Reno line completed by 1872. The main purpose of the line was to connect the Comstock mines with Carson City, which was achieved in January 1870. According to Quebedeaux, this directory was the first such Railroad directory issued in Nevada.
With the new United States mint in operation in Carson City, the bullion from the mills could be shipped directly to Carson City, eliminating an expensive haul to San Francisco. Also, the new community of Reno on the Central Pacific soon became important as a railroad connection for freight to and from Virginia City via the Geiger Grade. Very rare - Quebedeaux.
The compiler, John F. Uhlhorn, undertook an extensive canvassing of the towns along the railroad to produce this exhaustive directory of residents and businesses. Includes general and classified business directories for Carson City, Dayton, Gold Hill, Reno, Silver City and Virginia City, and the Washoe County settlements of Franktown and Washoe City. Many of the advertisements are beautifully illustrated and printed on blue or purple colored paper. The full-page ad for Sacramento watchmaker H. Wachhorst, printed in three colors, illustrates the shop with "the City Clock" on the roof of the building.
Though reasonable well represented within institutional confines (Quebedeaux locates ten copies), this very rare Nevada directory almost never appears in the market. The sole example in RBH sold in 1920.