A Map of the Routes To the Gold Fields of Alaska and the Yukon
Unusual map of Alaska, issued by Rand McNally & Co. in the year after the start of the Alaska Gold Rush.
While titled as a map of Alaska, the map is clearly intended as a guide map for gold seekers. The main map, rather than focusing on Alaska, extends from Fort McKenzie and the Yukon River south to San Francisco, giving an overview of the main routes to the Klondike Region from the Pacific Coast. The map has been significantly improved from the Ft. Selkirk area to Fort Yukon, with the Dalton Trail and Bounds Trail shown beginning north of Chilkat Pass.
Along the Yukon River, Tanana, St. James Mission, Fort Hamlin, Lower Ramparts, Weare, Ft. Yukon, Circle and Charles Village all reflect the interest in this region, where gold had also been located, as does the note referencing Peavy Tradiding Post, where gold had recently been discovered.
At the top right, a detailed inset of the region from Cudahy and the Forty-Mile District to Fort Selkirk is shown, with excellent details along the major diggings of the creeks south of Dawson.
At the left, a second inset map shows the area between Juneau and Ft. Selkirk, tracking the various routes to the Gold Diggings and locating both the Dalton Trail and the Bounds Trail, as well as suggesting a route mostly by water via Lake LeBarge.
A fine and quite scarce map, which likely was issued for about 1 year in Rand McNally's Commercial Atlas.
Rand McNally & Co. is a large American map and navigation company best known for its annual atlases. The company got its start in 1856, when William Rand opened a print shop in Chicago. He was joined in 1858 by a new employee, Andrew McNally. Together, the men established their namesake company in 1868. Originally, the company was intended to print the tickets and timetables for the trains running to and through Chicago; their first railway guide was published in 1869.
By 1870, they had shifted from just printing to publishing directories, travel guides, and newspapers. Their first map appeared in 1872 in a railway guide. The map was produced using a new wax engraving method, a cheaper process that gave the company an edge.
By 1880 Rand McNally had entered the education market with globes, wall maps, and geography texts for students. In 1923, Rand McNally published the first Goode’s World Atlas, named after its editor, Dr. J. Paul Goode. For generations afterward, this would be the standard classroom atlas.
In 1899, William Rand left the company, but McNally and his family remained, controlling the company for over a century. In 1904, they published their first road map intended for automobiles and by 1907 were publishing Photo-Auto Guides, which combined photography and mapping to help drivers. In 1924, they produced the Auto Chum, a precursor to their famous road atlases. Rand McNally would remain the leader in road maps and atlases throughout the twentieth century.
In 1937, Rand McNally opened its first store in New York City. Ever on the frontier of technology, Rand McNally pioneered the scribing process for printing tickets in 1958 and printed their first full-color road atlas in 1960. Arthur Robinson developed his now-famous projection of Rand McNally in 1969. By the 1980s, the company was exploring digital reproduction and digital databases of maps for truckers. In the 1990s, they lead the charge to develop trip-planning software and websites. Today, most of its products are available online or in a digital format, including maps for tablets and phones.