Sign In

- Or use -
Forgot Password Create Account

Wall Map of Africa Dedicated to The Duke of Burgundy

Rare 4-sheet wall map of Africa, published in Paris by Louis Charles Desnos.

Originally published by Alexis-Hubert Jaillot, Desnos's wall map of Africa is a finely crafted large format presentation of Africa as known to Europeans in the 18th Century.

The map shows the entirety of the continent, including Madagascar and parts of southern Europe, and part of the the Arabian Peninsula. In the Atlantic Ocean are the Canaries, and Cape Verde Islands, as well as several islands in the southern Atlantic. 

The continent is split into political units, which are listed in the title located outside the top plate edge. It also contains physical features like lakes and mountains. The famous Mountains of the Moon, the supposed source of the Nile River since ancient times, are no longer shown. While originally based upon the cartographic details in Sanson's map of 1650, Desnos has updated Jaillot's map to alter the river system of the Upper Nile.

In the lower  left corner is a cartouche holding 7 scale bars.  The cartouche includes a dedication to the Duke of Burgundy.

Condition Description
4-sheets, joined as issued. Trimmed at left and right margins, with minor loss of printed neatlines. Minor soiling, evidence of miscreasing and old folds, and some minor repairs at fold intersections, etc. Minor loss in a few areas.
Alexis-Hubert Jaillot Biography

Alexis-Hubert Jaillot (ca. 1632-1712) was one of the most important French cartographers of the seventeenth century. Jaillot traveled to Paris with his brother, Simon, in 1657, hoping to take advantage of Louis XIV's call to the artists and scientists of France to settle and work in Paris. Originally a sculptor, he married the daughter of Nicholas Berey, Jeanne Berey, in 1664, and went into partnership with Nicholas Sanson's sons. Beginning in 1669, he re-engraved and often enlarged many of Sanson's maps, filling in the gap left by the destruction of the Blaeu's printing establishment in 1672.