Finely engraved map of Italy, published by Francois Halma in Amsterdam.
The map is based upon the work of famed Italian mapmaker Giacomo Cantelli da Vignola (1643-1695), one of the most important mapmakers in the second half of the 17th Century in Italy. Cantelli was hired as secretary by the Marquis of Ferrara. Later he moved to Venice, where he worked as a geographer and cartographer. His maps were first published in 1672 in Rome by Giovanni Giacomo de Rossi, whose work began a brief Renaissance of Italian mapmaking in the late 17th Century.