Sign In

- Or use -
Forgot Password Create Account
Description

Exceedingly rare Dublin edition of this rare French & Indian War Map of the region around Fort Duquesne, the Monongahela River, Yoxhiogeny River and Fort Cumberlands.

The map also names Stewarts, Gifts, Ohiopyle Falls, Fraziers, Sewickly's Old Town, Chartiers Old Town, Shanopins Town and Qn. Alliquipas Town.

The map is based on a drawing by General Braddock's aide-de-camp, Capt. William Orme, showing the region between Fort Cumberland and Fort Duquesne, through which Braddock traveled during his unsuccessful campaign of 1755 and notes his progress on a daily basis.

In July 1758, the British sent another expedition against the French at Fort Duquesne, this led by Brigadier General John Forbes. Forbes had some initial setbacks but persevered and proved much more successful than Braddock. Forbes held a council at Fort Bedford with the Indian tribes of western Pennsylvania, establishing peace between them and the British. When the French realized they would no longer have Indian allies, they quickly abandoned Fort Duquesne, destroying the fort as much as possible. On November 25, 1758, Forbes occupied the site, which he soon had rebuilt and renamed Fort Pitt, establishing British control of the upper Ohio Valley for the first time.

This map was issued shortly after Forbes's victorious campaign, showing the southeastern part of Pennsylvania into western Maryland and indicating the route taken to get to Fort Duquesne. It appeared in the rare Dublin published Gentlemans & London Magazine, by John Exshaw.

The map first appeared in the Grand Magazine of Magazines, published in London. While the Grand Magazine of Magazines edition is rare on the market, this Dublin edition is even rarer. The two maps are most easily distinguished by the placement and the wording of the note regarding Philadelphia at the bottom right corner. This map shows "W: Long from Philadelphia" extending nearly to the right inner neatline, whereas the Grand Magazine of Magazines edition shows "W. Long fr. Philadelphia" and does not extend as far to the right.