Fine original antique map of northwestern Germany, showing the region from Bremen in the northeast down to Cologne in the southeast. This attractive map was published by Nicolas Sanson in 1659 in Paris.
The map is highly detailed, showing regional borders, rivers, cities, forests, and more. Towns appearing on the map include Bremen, Arnhem, Nijmegen, Duysburg, Essen, Hamburg, and Maastricht. Sanson was one of the foremost engravers in France in the 17th century, and his maps are known for their simple but attractive layout and extremely detailed geography.
Nicholas Sanson (1600-1667) is considered the father of French cartography in its golden age from the mid-seventeenth century to the mid-eighteenth. Over the course of his career he produced over 300 maps; they are known for their clean style and extensive research. Sanson was largely responsible for beginning the shift of cartographic production and excellence from Amsterdam to Paris in the later-seventeenth century.
Sanson was born in Abbeville in Picardy. He made his first map at age twenty, a wall map of ancient Gaul. Upon moving to Paris, he gained the attention of Cardinal Richelieu, who made an introduction of Sanson to King Louis XIII. This led to Sanson's tutoring of the king and the granting of the title ingenieur-geographe du roi.
His success can be chalked up to his geographic and research skills, but also to his partnership with Pierre Mariette. Early in his career, Sanson worked primarily with the publisher Melchior Tavernier. Mariette purchased Tavernier’s business in 1644. Sanson worked with Mariette until 1657, when the latter died. Mariette’s son, also Pierre, helped to publish the Cartes générales de toutes les parties du monde (1658), Sanson' atlas and the first French world atlas.