Antique engraved map of Tolagnaro, in Madagascar. The map shows the French colony with its fort, houses, and fields, and was published in Amsterdam by the Ottens family.
Fort Dauphin was founded in 1643 by the French East India Company and settled by about a hundred colonists, but failed to gain traction and served as a relatively poor trading post.
This map was based on Bellin's 1750 Plan du Fort Dauphin. . . which accompanied his Histoire Generale de Voyages, and is updated with Dutch-language text.
Jakob van der Schley was a skilled draftsman and engraver who operated out of Amsterdam and had strong ties with the Hague. He was trained by Bernard Picart and his style resembles that of the elder man. Van der Schely was known for intricately engraved portraits and frontispieces. He signed most of the plates used in the Hague edition of the Abbe Prevost's Histoire generale des voyages.