One of the Earliest Obtainable Views of Singapore
Rare early view of Singapore, published in Paris in 1846.
The view was created during the expedition of Dumont D'Urville (1790-1842), from sketches drawn while the Astrolabe and Zellee, anchored at Singapore for six days from June 27 to July 2, 1839. This view shows Singapore from the west side of Government Hill, overlooking the Singapore River. It provides a clear view of Jackson's Bridge which leads to Boustead's godown on the south bank. At the mouth of the Singapore River on the same side is a group of low buildings which represent Fort Fullerton, built in 1830 to guard the river. Behind the group of figures in 'oriental' clothes in the left foreground is the north bank of the river on which can be seen the Court House (with the turret).
The remainder of this bank was kept clear apart from the two-story Master Attendant's Office, Port Office and small shed used to store coal. The one clearly defined structure amongst the roofs of Chinatown is the prison for local convicts on the far right. Behind Chinatown is Telok Ayer basin with ships at anchor in the harbor.
This is the first time we have offered this view for sale.