Fine map of the central part of Wyoming, published as part of Hayden's Survey in 1877.
The map illustrates the central part of Wyoming Territory, centered on the Sweet Water River, with the Wind River Shoshone Reservation at the top of the map and extending west to the Big Sandy River.
A number of important early roads are shown, along with the course of the Union Pacific in the southeastern corner of the map. A number of mountains and elevations are given.
In 1867, Congress established the Geological and Geographical Survey, which in time would include the survey of all the territories on either side of the Rocky Mountains. Dr. Ferdinand Vandeveer Hayden was appointed geologist in charge. Hayden led the surveys and issued reports between 1867 and 1883, including information on the geography, geology, ethnology and many other scientific subjects. Hayden's surveys were a landmark in the history of the exploration and documentation of the American West. This map is of particular interest as it shows the South Pass and has markings for the “Old Emigrant Road” and “Old Wagon Road.”