Hand-colored lithographed map of part of the Garment District, New York City, published by Spielmann & Brush in their very rare atlas Certified Copies of Original Maps of Property in New York City (1881). The last copy of that atlas was on the market with a New York City bookdealer for $12,500.
The map shows old farm plots and roads, as well as modern streets and lots between Ninth Avenue and the High Line. Includes notes on the ownership of adjoining properties. Being published at a time when large New York land holdings were being broken up during inheritances, maps like this would have been key for showing the dominant players in the New York City real estate business of the gilded age.
Glass House Farm was a large farm that had begun to be broken up as early as 1800. The name of the farm refers to a short-lived 18th-century glass bottle manufacturer situated northeast of the farm.
The area presently covered by Glass House Farm lies in the Garment District at the end of the Lincoln Tunnel. Located in the Western Thirties, this area is now occupied by Chelsea Park and major corporate offices such as 5 Manhattan West and the CNN New York bureau.