Sign In

Forgot Password Create Account
Description

First state of this rare separately issued sea chart of the coast of Brazil, published in London by R & W Blachford.

A finely detailed coastal chart, extending from Buenos Aires and the mouth of the Rio de la Plata to Cape Frio, just north of Rio de Janeiro. The chart includes four profile recognition views and seven insets.

The inset charts include: Rio Janeiro; Harbor of Marambaia; Harbor of Port Frio; Harbor of Paranagua; Harbor of Santos; Harbor of St. Catharina; and Cananea.

This first state, dated 1835, shows only the Blachford name. The second state of the chart includes a note below the date stating "Sold by Blachford & Imray, at their Navigation Warehouse." This state was likely re-issued in 1837.

All states of the map are extremely rare. We note only a single example offered by in a dealer catalog an no examples in OCLC or at auction in the past 30 years.

Condition Description
Blue-backed chart. Generally soiled with some edge fraying and a few tears, repaired on the verso. Altogether a Fair to Good example.
Blachford & Co. Biography

Blachford was an Irish chartmaker best known for publishing blueback nautical charts. His introduction to the chart trade was likely through his father-in-law; in 1802, Blachford married Elizabeth Moore, the daughter of John Hamilton Moore, who was a renowned publisher of nautical texts and charts. Blachford only worked with Moore for two years. By 1805, he had set up his own shop in the Minories. Many of his charts from this time were derived from the Moore’s work and re-engraved by Samuel Stockley. Business was slow, however, and Blachford filed for bankruptcy in 1819. To counter this bad luck, he partnered with William Lane until 1821, working out of an address in Leadenhall. He then moved back to a Minories address and this shop would be his base of operations for over a decade. His new partner was William Blachford, possibly a relative. Their charts focused on British coastal navigation. Robert and William retired around 1835; they passed the business to Michael Blachford. Michael, in turn, partnered with James Imray and their business was successful. Imray bought Blachford out in 1846, continuing to grow his business into one of the most successful of the nineteenth century.