Jakubiska's Map of Vienna and Environs Showing Napoleon's Headquarters (in Tents!)
Finely executed map of the area around Vienna, published by Stephan Jakubiska.
The map is oriented with east toward the top, providing a remarkable topographical look at the area around Vienna.
The present state was issued for a few months, appearing shortly after the battles of Aspern and Wagram in 1809. It includes French names for a number of the islands in the Danube, apparently honoring French Military leaders, including Massena and Napoleon. The island of Lobau now includes Napoleon's headquarters (Tentes de S.M. l'Empereur Napoleon).
The map was engraved by Sebastian Mansfeld and published by Artaria & Co.
Dörflinger records 11 different editions of the map, but only the first two (1789 and 1791) are in the original size (62 x 97 cm with the map from Korneuburg to Laxenburg). Beginning with the third edition in 1799, the map extends to Baden and Trumau, with further editions in 1800, 1803, 1805, and 1808, which include minor additions.
The present example is state 9, issued in 1809.
Artaria evidently brought out two additional southeastern editions shortly after the battles of Aspern and Wagram, which also showed the battlefields of 1809.