Marienplatz - Munich
Fine early view of the Marienplatz in Munich, published by Michael Wening.
The Marienplatz is the main market square in Munich. First build in 1158, it is named for Mary, the Parton Saint of Bavaria.
Marienplatz was named after the Mariensäule, a Marian column erected in its center in 1638 to celebrate the end of Swedish occupation. Today the Marienplatz is dominated by the New City Hall (Neues Rathaus) on the north side. The Glockenspiel in the tower of the new city hall was inspired by these tournaments, and draws millions of tourists a year. At the east side Munich's Old City Hall (Altes Rathaus) is located. It is a gothic council hall, ballroom and tower which have been reconstructed.
In the Middle Ages, markets and tournaments were held in this city square.