Rare letter sheet with map on verso, printed for The Oriska Elevator.
The map is centered on Fargo, North Dakota and extends north to Grand Forks and South to Big Stone Lake, focusing on the railroad lines, towns and other features.
The map identifies John M. Dennett as manager. Contemporary newspaper accounts put Dennet as the manager in February 1882.
Oriska was originally called Fourth Siding, and under the latter name was founded in 1872 when the railroad was extended to that point. The name Oriska was adopted in 1881. Oriska was named for a Native American character in a poem by Lydia Sigourney. A post office called Oriska has been in operation since 1881.
The map is very rare. We have never seen another example.