Striking large format map of Scotland, based upon the recent surveys of John Ainslie & c. . . . 1813.
John Ainslie ( 1745 - 1828) was a Scottish surveyor and cartographer, born in Jedburgh, the youngest son of John Ainslie, a druggist. He began his career as an apprentice to the "Geographer to King George III", engraver and publisher Thomas Jefferys, and worked as a surveyor and engraver for the English County series of maps.
After Jefferys' death he returned to Scotland where he surveyed Scottish counties, engraving and publishing the maps. His primary focus was on the coasts and islands of Scotland. The quality of his maps challenged others to improve their mapping style making maps more clear and easy to read. From 1787 to 1789 Ainslie worked on a new nine sheet map of Scotland, publishing it in 1789. The map was a landmark in the improvement of the outline of Scotland and for the first time showed the Great Glen as a straight line and Skye, Mull, and Islay shown with more accuracy than had previously been seen.
He worked as a surveyor on several civil engineering projects including the Forth and Clyde canal with Robert Whitworth, Charles Rennie on Saltcoats harbour, and the Glasgow to Ardrossan canal.
William Faden (1749-1836) was a prominent London mapmaker and publisher. He worked in close partnership with the prolific Thomas Jeffreys from 1773 to 1776. In 1783, Faden assumed ownership of the Jeffreys firm and was named Geographer to the King in the same year. Faden specialized in depictions of North America and also commanded a large stock of British county maps, which made him attractive as a partner to the Ordnance Survey; he published the first Ordnance map in 1801. The Admiralty also admired his work and acquired some of his plates which were re-issued as official naval charts. After retiring in 1823 the lucrative business passed to James Wyld, a former apprentice.