Highly detailed map of Africa, focusing in on the British Colonial interests in Africa, marked in red.
The map shows an annotated blue line and an annotated red line with the following notes:
- Blue Line: Within this boundary line the importation of fire-arms and gunpowder &c is prohibitited by ARt. VIII and the importation of spiritous liquorsin districts where the use of distilled liquors does not exist is prohibited by Art. XC of the General Act of the Brussels Conference of 1890.
- Red Line: Maritime Zone within which the Signatory Powers to take steps in common for the more effective repression of the Slave Trade Arts. XX, XXI of the General Act of the Brussels Conference 1890.
A number of interesting locations added to the map, including:
- Royal Niger Company
- Oil Rivers Protectorate
- Somali Protectorate
- Imperial British East Africa Company
- Nyasaland Protectorate
- British South Africa Company Protectorate
- British Bechuanaland Protectorate
- British BechuanalandCrown Colony
- Several aresa listed as British Sphere of Influence
- Sierra Leone
- Gold Coast
A remarkable late 19th Century colonial artifact.
Sheet sizes are 29 x 32, 29 x 32 and 29 x 41 inches.
Edward Stanford (1827-1904) was a prominent British mapmaker and publisher. A native of Holborn in the heart of London, Edward was apprenticed to a printer and stationer at the age of 14. After his first master died, he worked with several others, including Trelawny W. Saunders of Charing Cross. Saunders oversaw young Edward’s early career, ensuring that he became a Fellow of the Royal Geographical Society. Associations with the Society eventually brought Sanders much business and gave him a reputation as a publisher of explorers. As testament to this reputation, the Stanford Range in British Columbia was named for him by John Palliser.
Stanford briefly partnered with Saunders in 1852 before striking out on his own in 1853. He was an agent for the Ordnance Survey, the Admiralty, the Geological Survey, the Trigonometrical Survey of India, and the India Office. He also controlled the maps of the Society for the Diffusion of Useful Knowledge, another lucrative source of income. In 1857, Stanford founded his namesake Geographical Establishment, with Saunders and A. K. Johnston as engravers. Thereafter, Stanford was known for his “library maps”, particularly those of Africa and Asia.
Although he had authored many maps, the Harrow Atlas of Modern Geography and a similar volume on classical geography, Stanford is better remembered today as the leader of a successful map business. Ever in search of more inventory, he acquired the plates and stock of John Arrowsmith, heir of the Arrowmsith family firm, in 1874. By 1881 he employed 87 people at his premises at 6 Charing Cross Road, Saunders’ old address. As he aged, he phased in his son Edward Jr. to run the business. He died in 1904. The business survived him, and the Stanford’s shop is still a prominent London landmark today.