Fine example of the Jansson/Hornius 6 sheet map of the Holy Land.
Illustrated with east at the top, the map provides one of the finest large scale depictions of the Holy Land, based upon biblical prophecies.
Hornius based his map on Adrichom's "Situs Terrae Promissionis." The map shows the region divided into the twelve tribes on both sides of the Jordan River, the shoreline running from Sidon to Alexandria. The Cison Torrens (Kishon River) is shown as connecting the Sea of Galilee with the Mediterranean Sea, and there are many nonexistent rivers, e.g., a river connecting Jerusalem with the Dead Sea. In the Dead Sea, four burning cities are shown: Sodoma, Gomorra, Seboim, and Adama.
The dramatic map is beautifully engraved to show topographical features, major roads, towns and villages and richly embellished with dozens of biblical illustrations. Inset maps in the top corners depict Abraham's journey and the wandering of the Israelites through the desert.
Jan Janssonius (also known as Johann or Jan Jansson or Janszoon) (1588-1664) was a renowned geographer and publisher of the seventeenth century, when the Dutch dominated map publishing in Europe. Born in Arnhem, Jan was first exposed to the trade via his father, who was also a bookseller and publisher. In 1612, Jan married the daughter of Jodocus Hondius, who was also a prominent mapmaker and seller. Jonssonius’ first maps date from 1616.
In the 1630s, Janssonius worked with his brother-in-law, Henricus Hondius. Their most successful venture was to reissue the Mercator-Hondius atlas. Jodocus Hondius had acquired the plates to the Mercator atlas, first published in 1595, and added 36 additional maps. After Hondius died in 1612, Henricus took over publication; Janssonius joined the venture in 1633. Eventually, the atlas was renamed the Atlas Novus and then the Atlas Major, by which time it had expanded to eleven volumes. Janssonius is also well known for his volume of English county maps, published in 1646.
Janssonius died in Amsterdam in 1664. His son-in-law, Johannes van Waesbergen, took over his business. Eventually, many of Janssonius’ plates were sold to Gerard Valck and Pieter Schenk, who added their names and continued to reissue the maps.