Rare set of Gold Rush views of Scotts Bar and French Bar, published by J. M. C. Jones and made by Kuchel and Dresel in San Francisco.
Kuchel and Dresel's birds-eye view of Scotts Bar and French Bar, show two Gold Rush towns depicted a few years after the discovery of gold.
The smaller views shows mills, hotels, small businesses and various mining operations.
The border surrounding the views shows individual buildings and sights including: the "U.S. Bakery," "Meat Market," "French Bar Hotel" and a "Billiard Saloon."
French Bar got its name following the discovery of Gold on the Tuolumne River by a group of French Miners, in 1852. By 1854, over 100 buildings had been constructed. The town would ultimately take on the name La Grange and become the County Seat of Stanislaus County in 1856.
The community of Scott Bar, the Scott River and nearby Scott Valley were all named after John W. Scott, who discovered gold in the river at Scott Bar in the summer of 1850. The post office opened as Scott River in 1856 and changed its name to Scott Bar in 1906.