Small birdseye view promoting the Janss Investment Company's new sudivision of Westwood, which is here called "the Second Hollywood."
The Janss Investment Company, one of the pioneer real estate firms in Los Angeles (1895 to 1995) is perhaps best known for having donated the land in Westwood which would become the campus of the University of California's southern branch (UCLA).
In 1911 Harold Janss married Arthur Letts' daughter Gladys. In 1923 after Arthur Letts, Sr. died, they took control of the 3,300-acre William Wolfskill ranch on Rancho San Jose de Buenos Ayres. In a deal to get the University of California, Los Angeles, in 1925 Janss Investment Company sold 375 acres to the cities of Los Angeles, Santa Monica and Beverly Hills at the bargain price of $1.2 million - about a quarter of its value. The cities, whose voters had passed bond issues to pay for the site, turned around and donated it to the state. While the UCLA campus was being built, Janss Investment Company went to work developing the Westwood Village commercial area and surrounding residential neighborhoods.