Original map showing the proposed line of the Arrowhead LIne of the Pacific Electric Railway from 29th Street to the Arrowhead Hot Springs & Hotel property, above San Bernardino.
The map is from a de-accessioned archive of the Southern Pacific Railroad (which had previously acquired the Pacific Electric Railway), disposed of in the mid-1980s.
The Arrowhead Line was built from Third and D Street in San Bernardino, north on D Street to Highland Avenue. It then curved and continued east on Highland Avenue to Mountain View Avenue, then curved again and continued north on Mountain View Avenue in a private right-of-way dividing the road. Today, there is still a parkway in the median where the track once was. At approximately 37th Street, the line came onto present-day Electric Avenue and continued north and northeast on a private right-of-way through the foothills and into Waterman Canyon.
The electric trolley lines in San Bernardino were originally built by the San Bernardino Valley Traction Company, beginning with the line to Colton in 1903 The original SBVT trolley car depot was on the south side of Third Street, between D Street and Arrowhead Avenue. In 1911, the Pacific Electric Railway bought the SBVT and the trolleys were then based at a larger station shared with the Southern Pacific Railroad. This station was farther west, on Third Street, between E and F Streets.