Fine early birdseye of Poplar City (the Chapman & Davis Tract), from Thomson & West's Historical atlas map of Santa Clara County, California. Compiled, drawn and published from personal examinations and surveys by Thompson & West, San Francisco.
The area shown was located between Santa Clara and San Jose. In the 1870s, the land was acquired by W.S. Chapman and Moses Davis, which was subdivided in 1875. The town consisted of a 30 acre tract between Alameda and Union Avenue (now Park Avenue). Streets shown include Davis Street, Chapman Street, Morse Street, McKendrie Street, Hedding Street, Newhall Street, Emory Street and University Avenue.
Union Avenue at the time was the location of the South Side Railroad, a horsecar line owned by Jacob Rich. The line was abandoned in 1882, when the People's Horse Railroad and the San Jose & Santa Clara Railroad were merged.