Detailed map of the Environs of Paris, originally published in 1690 by Nicolas De Fer, the Geographer to the King of France.
Fine map of the environs of Paris extending along the Seine from Mante in the west to Corbeil in the east, and extending northwards to the "Forest de Beaucarreau". The map depicts in fine detail the roads, boundaries and places of note - Versailles and the boundaries of the gardens and park well illustrated. The title cartouche, dedicating the map to the Dauphin, appears in the lower left corner and is illustrated with images of royal power and influence.
This edition of the map was published by Charles Louis Desnos, who sucessor to the Nicolas De Fer's business, following the death of De Fer's son-in-law, Guillaume Danet.
Nicholas de Fer (1646-1720) was the son of a map seller, Antoine de Fer, and grew to be one of the most well-known mapmakers in France in the seventeenth century. He was apprenticed at twelve years old to Louis Spirinx, an engraver. When his father died in 1673, Nicholas helped his mother run the business until 1687, when he became the sole proprietor.
His earliest known work is a map of the Canal of Languedoc in 1669, while some of his earliest engravings are in the revised edition of Methode pour Apprendre Facilement la Geographie (1685). In 1697, he published his first world atlas. Perhaps his most famous map is his wall map of America, published in 1698, with its celebrated beaver scene (engraved by Hendrick van Loon, designed by Nicolas Guerard). After his death in 1720, the business passed to his sons-in-law, Guillaume Danet and Jacques-Francois Benard.