James Edgar Martin (1825-1869), the owner of the studio, was born in Glenwell Falls, New York. He worked in Minnesota during the 1850s and 1860s. Initially, he established the Excelsior Photographic Gallery, which he sold to Alfred J. Hassler in 1864. Subsequently, he founded Martin's Art Gallery, specializing in stereoviews while also offering photographs from notable artists such as Benjamin F. Upton and Joel Emmons Whitney. In 1869, Martin sold the gallery to Joel Emmons Whitney, marking the end of his ownership.