Plat of Old Town with Early Landowner Details
Interesting litigation related map of Old Town, highlighting the lands owned by the Steele Heirs" and other early San Diego land owners immediately west of Old Town San Diego.
The map shows the partition of approximately a dozen lots which were formerly owned by John E. Mason, but granted to Charles Collins and Henry Wurzburg
Among the landowners shown are:
- Steele Heirs
- Charles Collins & Henry Wurzburg (as Grantees of John E. Mason)
The Government reserve area is likely part of today's SPAWAR, which recently changed its name to Naval Information Warfare Systems Command.
We were unable to track the history of the partition case. The only California newspaper reference to a Henry Wurzburg references a Prescott, Arizona resident in 1884. The firm of Kuhn & Wurzburg operated a clothing store in downtown San Diego beginning in about 1886.