This is a meticulously detailed map of the state of Minnesota, published by the renowned cartographers G.W. & C.B. Colton. The map features hand coloring by counties, providing a visually appealing and informative representation of the region.
The map displays various geographical features, including towns, rivers, and lakes. It also highlights the state's transportation infrastructure, such as railroads. Both completed and projected railroads are indicated, offering valuable insights into the development of Minnesota's transportation network at the time.
G. W. & C. B. Colton was a prominent family firm of mapmakers who were leaders in the American map trade in the nineteenth century. The business was founded by Joseph Hutchins Colton (1800-1893) who bought copyrights to existing maps and oversaw their production. By the 1850s, their output had expanded to include original maps, guidebooks, atlases, and railroad maps. Joseph was succeeded by his sons, George Woolworth (1827-1901) and Charles B. Colton (1831-1916). The firm was renamed G. W. & C. B. Colton as a result. George is thought responsible for their best-known work, the General Atlas, originally published under that title in 1857. In 1898, the brothers merged their business and the firm became Colton, Ohman, & Co., which operated until 1901, when August R. Ohman took on the business alone and dropped the Colton name.