Detailed map of Virginia and West Virginia, published by GW & CB Colton.
The map is colored by counties and showing towns, townships, roads, railroads, canals, post offices, rivers, lakes, etc. The map pre-dates split from West Virginia.
Inset plans of Norfolk and Richmond vicinities.
The Colton family was one of the pre-eminent American map publishing firms in the mid-19th Century.
G. W. & C. B. Colton was a prominent family firm of mapmakers who were leaders in the American map trade in the nineteenth century. The business was founded by Joseph Hutchins Colton (1800-1893) who bought copyrights to existing maps and oversaw their production. By the 1850s, their output had expanded to include original maps, guidebooks, atlases, and railroad maps. Joseph was succeeded by his sons, George Woolworth (1827-1901) and Charles B. Colton (1831-1916). The firm was renamed G. W. & C. B. Colton as a result. George is thought responsible for their best-known work, the General Atlas, originally published under that title in 1857. In 1898, the brothers merged their business and the firm became Colton, Ohman, & Co., which operated until 1901, when August R. Ohman took on the business alone and dropped the Colton name.