Including Charts from Lieutenant Murdoch Mackenzie's Famous Survey of the South Coast of England.
An interesting group of 15 British charts covering the south coast of England, including five from Lieutenant Murdoch Mackenzie's famous survey of that region.
The charts cover the south coast from The Downs (the east coast of Kent) to just past Land's End in Cornwall.
The earliest charts are updated printings of surveys done in the final half of the 18th century, and the latest charts date from 1855. The group was seemingly prepared in the 1850s, gathering the best available cartography for this coast and consolidating it for use on board a ship.
Lieutenant Murdoch Mackenzie was the nephew of the famous surveyor of the Orkneys of the same name. He used his rank to differentiate himself from his uncle. Græme Spence was his cousin and assistant and worked with him on a survey of the Thames Estuary.
Reference should be made to Andrew David's "Lieutenant Murdoch Mackenzie and his Survey of the Bristol Channel and the South Coast of England", from volume 40, issue 1, of The Cartographic Journal (2003).
- The Downs Surveyed by Captn. F. Bullock R.N. 1846.
- Survey of the South Coast of England, from Dover to Winchelsea. By Græme Spence. Dungeness Resurveyed by Captn. I. Washington RN. FRS. 1844
- Chart of the South Coast of England from Winchelsea to Beachy Head by Græme Spence. The Maritime Part by John Murray Lieut: RN: 1804 and 1805... 1844
- The South Coast of England from Beachy Head to Worthing by John Murray Lieut: RN. 1806... 1st Sept. 1810.
- The South Coast of England from New Shoreham to Selsea Bill by John Murray Lieut. RN. 1807... 31 July 1810.
- England South Coast Owers to Dunnose Including Spithead Surveyed by Captn. Sheringham R.N.F.G.&A.S. 1848... April 13th 1851
- England South Coast Dunnose to the Needles Including Spithead Surveyed by Captn. Sheringham R.N. F.G.&A.S. 1851... Sepr. 1st 1852
- Survey of the South Coast of England, from Blackwood Point on the Isle of Wight, to St. Alban's Head, by Lieut: Murdoch Mackenzie, 1785.
- Survey of the South Coast of England, from St. Alban's Head to Abbotsbury, by Lieut. Murdoch Mackenzie, 1787... Sep: 27 1808.
- England South Coast Weymouth and Portland Roads Surveyed by Captn. Sheringham, Lieut. Cox and Mr. Taylor 1850... May 9th 1855.
- England South Coast Bill of Portland Surveyed by Captn. Sheringham, Lieut. Cox and Mr. Taylor 1850... May 9th 1855.
- Survey of the South Coast of England from Abbotsbury to Sidmouth by Lieut. Murdoch Mackenzie, 1787... Feb. 2d 1809.
- A Chart of Part of the Coast of Devonshire, from Exmouth to Rame Head... 2d Feby. 1826.
- A Survey of the South Coast of England, from Plymouth to the Lizard, By Lieut. Murdoch Mackenzie. 1773... Augst. 1st. 1809
- A Survey of the Coast of Cornwall from the Lizard Point to St. Agnes Head, By Lieut: Mackenzie 1772. and the Scilly Islands by Mr. Græme Spence, 1792... Sepr. 19. 1808.