Santa Barbara Before Highway 101
Interesting hand drawn map of a section of Mission Creek in Santa Barbara, as it crosses under Mission Street in Santa Barbara.
Located between Castillo Street and Rancheria Street, the image illustrates the location of a bridge which was likely removed at the time, along with natural featuesa, such as Sycamore trees and the actual creek bed.
The area shown is now immediately north of Highway 101. Rancheria Street has long since been replace by Highway 101 and ramps, and the creek bed reduced to a narrow channel running along the north side of Highway 101 for approximately 1 mile.
US 101 was commissioned in 1926 as one of the original US highways. It originally went from the Mexican Border south of San Diego to Olympia, Washington. Prior to US 101, the road through this part of Santa Barbara was closer to the coastline.
The style of this map suggests that it was likely made sometime between the 1880s and the 1910s.