Rare copperplate engraved view of Colombo, Sri Lanka, after William Schouten and published in the 1670s.
The image shows many tall Dutch ships at port, including one firing its cannons. Traditional Sri Lankan buildings line the harbor. Palm trees and high mountains can be seen in the background.
The Dutch era started in Colombo in 1638 when they obtained a monopoly on the island's trade in return for protection from the Portuguese. They maintained control of the island until the British captured Colombo in 1796.