Subdividing Rancho de los Putos -- William Wolfskill and Susan Cooper Wolfskill
Finely crafted subdivision map of an area in Winters, California, named for Susan Wolfskill, wife of pioneer Californian William Wolfskill.
On May 24, 1842, Governor Juan Bautista de Alvarado granted four square Mexican leagues, over 17,750 acres, to William Wolfskill. His brother John arrived on the property shortly thereafter with cattle, oxen, a few horses and a satchel of cuttings and seeds to settle the land. On current maps, the four leagues include 10,750 acres in what became Solano County and 7,004 acres in Yolo County.
John arrived at Putah Creek in mid-July 1842 and set about settling the property he called “Rancho de los Putos”. The property stayed in William Wolfskill’s name until 1849, when half of it was transferred to John. Legal issues ensued when California became part of the United States in 1850, but by 1854, William was finally able to transfer the entire ranch to John.
In 1858, John married Susan Cooper (Wolfskill). They resided on the property until at least the time of John Wolfskill's death in 1897.
An historical marker in the area notes
In 1842 John R. Wolfskill arrived here laden with fruit seeds and cuttings. He was a true horticulturist and became the father of the fruit industry in this region. In 1937 Mrs. Frances Wolfskill Taylor Wilson, his daughter, bequeathed 107.28 acres to the University of California for an experimental farm. From this portion of Rancho Río de los Putos the university's research has since enriched the state's horticultural industry.