An antique map of South Carolina from one of the most prolific American mapmakers of the 19th century. The map shows the routes, railroads, and settlements in the state, though it also locates various other features including rivers, canals, and even swamps. The names and outlines of the counties as they stood at the time are shown. The adjoining states of North Carolina and Georgia are portrayed in part.
The map includes a detailed inset map of Charleston showing the layout of this city at the confluence of the Ashley and Cooper Rivers. This inset shows a large area around Charleston, out to Sullivan Island and Morris's. Particular note is paid to military installments and railroads. An inset of Fort Sumter is provided, reflecting the Civil War date of publication. No mention is made of this conflict, typical of northern maps of the time, however, the bias towards mapping military installments is evident.
G. W. & C. B. Colton was a prominent family firm of mapmakers who were leaders in the American map trade in the nineteenth century. The business was founded by Joseph Hutchins Colton (1800-1893) who bought copyrights to existing maps and oversaw their production. By the 1850s, their output had expanded to include original maps, guidebooks, atlases, and railroad maps. Joseph was succeeded by his sons, George Woolworth (1827-1901) and Charles B. Colton (1831-1916). The firm was renamed G. W. & C. B. Colton as a result. George is thought responsible for their best-known work, the General Atlas, originally published under that title in 1857. In 1898, the brothers merged their business and the firm became Colton, Ohman, & Co., which operated until 1901, when August R. Ohman took on the business alone and dropped the Colton name.