Fine early view of San Mateo, from Moore & De Pue's Illustrated History of San Mateo County.
The view shows the area around St. Matthew's Episcopal Church, looking across San Mateo Drive from the northeast, looking toward the mountains.
St. Matthew’s is one of the oldest stone churches west of the Mississippi. Founded in 1864, the first church was built in 1865, on land donated by Agnes Poett Howard, widow of William Davis Merry Howard, and their son, William Henry Howard. Construction of the building was completed in seven months, and the church was consecrated on May 23, 1866.
The new church faced Baldwin Avenue with a north-south configuration. The church was largely destroyed in the 1906 Earthquake, but was rebuilt on the same spot.