Early depiction of the proposed Transcontinental Railroad routes!
Fine treatment of the American West seen through the lens of a Republican newspaperman traveling through the continent after the end of the Civil War.
This 1866 edition of Bowles's work, first published in 1865, includes a marvelous map of the western states showing stage roads and proposed railroads across the continent. An inset in the lower right shows a focus on central California.
The book includes an extremely detailed description of the West, describing many aspects. The subjects covered include polygamy in Utah, winemaking in California, the high coastal cost of living, and much more.
One of the most interesting parts of the book is its interactions with Schuyler Colfax's trip across the continent. Colfax, then Speaker of the House, was visiting the western states. He was one of the first high-ranking elected officials to do so.
- From Massachusetts to the Missouri
- From the Missouri to the Platte
- Through the Plains to the Rocky Mountains
- The Rocky Mountains and their Gold Mines
- Of Persons, Not Things
- Sunday in the Mountains
- From Denver to Salt Lake Through the Rocky Mountains
- The Way into Utah: Reception by the Mormons
- Mormon Materialities
- Salt Lake City and Life There
- The Polygamy Question
- The Mormon Wives: Our Last Day in Salt Lake City
- Social Life Among the Mormons
- The Ride Through the Sage Brush and the Great Basin
- The Silver Mines of Nevada: Austin and Virginia City
- The Continent Across
- Overland to Oregon
- The Columbia River: Its Scenery and Commerce
- Through Washington Territory
- Puget's Sound and Vancouver's Island
- San Francisco: Mr. Colfax, and his Reception in the Pacific States
- The Yosemite Valley and the Big Trees
- The Chinese on the Pacific Coast: Our Grand Dinner with Them
- The Great Theme: The Pacific Railway
- Country Excursions
- Of San Francisco
- Mining in California: It's Varieties, Results, and Prospects
- Social Life in San Francisco: The Women, Religion, and Ministers
- Climate and Productions: Cost of Living: The Currency Question
- The Mining Questions Again: General Review
- The Farewell Festivities
- The Voyage Home by Steamship and the Isthmus
[Folding engraved map], xx, 452, [Blank]; ; [Final blanks]