Florida's "Convenient Center"
A detailed mid-century map of Tampa, Florida, focused on Hillsborough Bay but showing parts of the surrounding Tampa Bay Area. The map centers on downtown Tampa and shows concentric circles spaced a mile apart, going as far as the "six-mile circle." An inset of downtown Tampa is included. The map shows streets, rivers, parks, neighborhoods, beaches, city limits, airports, and much more. The verso includes an index and text describing the city, as well as a Florida state map.
The layout of the area has changed to some extent. South of Euclid Avenue lies a large open area named Macdiel Field, and Sun Bay South is sparsely populated. The upscale neighborhoods of South Tampa including the Parkland Estates and Golfview are named Palma Ceia and Hyde Park. While these names are still applied to various parts of the city, it appears they have migrated slightly south and north, respectively.
Tampa played an important role in World War II, with MacDill Air Force Base being constructed to help with training operations. Drew Field was used as an auxiliary airfield. This would officially become Tampa International Airport in 1950 and a second terminal was added in 1952. While only one terminal is pictured, the name Tampa International Airport is already in use on this map. The 50s and 60s would see the fastest period of growth in Tampa's history, and this map preserves a view of the city before it experienced this rapid expansion.
The verso includes text on "Tampa's Neighbors." St. Petersburg (30 minutes away) is noted for its "world-famous Gandy Bridge," Clearwater (30 minutes away) is noted for its beaches and modern hotels, and several other cities are described. A list of places to visit in Tampa includes the plant park, the University of Tampa, the Tampa Municipal Museum, and Ballast Point Park.